Pumpkin often steals the spotlight in autumnal dishes, but for wine lovers, sweet and sour apples deserve your attention this year as a perfect canvas for the rich buttery flavors of white wine and fall spices.
This simple and comforting dish of glazed baked apples is a perfect topping for pancakes, ice cream, or all by themselves as a light and fresh fall dessert. The more complex your wine is, the more delightful this recipe is.
½ cup chardonnay or Riesling
¼ cup honey
¼ cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3 fuji apples, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch wedges
1. Preheat oven to 325º F.
2. Mix all ingredients except apples in a mixing bowl.
3. Toss apples in the mixture, coating thoroughly and evenly. Retain any of the mixture not absorbed to baste the apples as they bake.
4. Arrange apples evenly in an 8” x 8” casserole dish.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, basting every 10 minutes with a brush or baster. Stir as needed.
6. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight bowl. Be sure to get all the caramelized goodness from the bottom of the dish!